Image of the city

Set Up Your Business

Consult with a legal professional and accountant to choose a legal structure for your business, register with the Secretary of State, and obtain an EIN.

Choose a Legal Structure for Your Business

Businesses in the United States are legal entities defined by city, state, and federal laws. The legal structure of a business can vary. Some businesses are structured as corporations, some as limited liability companies, some as sole proprietorships, and so on.

In order to start your business, you’ll need to work with a lawyer and/or attorney to decide on an appropriate legal structure and prepare the necessary documentation.

There are many legal and financial issues to consider when choosing a legal structure for your business. The right legal structure can help limit your liability and protect your personal assets from bankruptcy. Your legal structure can also influence the way your business is taxed and the way it carries out day-to-day operations.

There are many factors to consider when determining an appropriate legal structure for your business, and it’s best to consult with a business counselor, attorney, or accountant before making a decision.

The Small Business Administration is a great resource for learning more about possible legal structures for your business.

Doing business in the Dotte is easy!

Get a customized checklist of steps to launch your business today.

Register Your Business with the Kansas Secretary of State

What is the Kansas Secretary of State Registration? 

Kansas Secretary of State Registration is when businesses and groups sign up to be officially recognized in Kansas. The Kansas Secretary of State's office takes care of this process. By registering, these businesses follow state rules, can work in Kansas, and pay any necessary taxes and fees.

How do I register my business?

  1. Before registering your new venture, you must verify that your business name is available with the Kansas Secretary of State Business Services. You can also use the Business Services site to obtain a certificate of good standing.
  2. To register your business with the Kansas Secretary of State, you must file your business formation documents with the Business Services Division.
  3. The specific documents you need to file depend on the type of business you want to form. For example, if you're forming a limited liability company (LLC), you must file Articles of Organization. If you're creating a corporation, you must file Articles of Incorporation.
  4. You can file your documents online or by mail. To file online, create an account at the Kansas Business Center website. From there, you can submit your formation documents and pay the filing fee with a credit card or electronic check.
  5. To file by mail, download the appropriate form from the Business Services Division website and complete it according to the instructions. You must include a check or money order for the filing fee and mail the documents to the Business Services Division.
  6. Once your documents are filed and your fee is paid, the Business Services Division will review your filing and let you know if you need additional information or corrections. If everything is in order, they will approve your filing, and your business will be registered with the Kansas Secretary of State.